Wednesday, July 9, 2014

nearing the end

The linsey woolsey blanket is moving right along!  I have gotten the hang of passing the shuttle all the way though the long shed smoothly allowing me to weave faster.  Tomorrow is my last day of work at the weaving school.  I'd like to get blanket off the loom , darned, and washed in time to learn how to sew up the selvages with a baseball stitch.. which I have yet to learn.  


This past weekend I attended the Battle of Hubbardton with the 5th NY Regiment.  It was a great event in a beautiful location. While in camp I had time to work on my apron.  In the pictures below I am joining the selvages of two widths of fabric together so they lie flat and look like one piece.  You have to weave the fabrics together catching each stitch.  



My hand woven fabrics were a hit and I struck up some great conversations with people about reenacting and my weaving experiences in Marshfield.  I met a sutler named Carol who was a weaver and owns Oswego Tea Company with her husband.  They sell 18th century goods, powder horns, woven fabrics and other fine goods.  She had some great advice for me and when we parted she gave me one of her handwoven towels!  

1 comment: