Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Over the past couple of days I beamed on, threaded, and began weaving another towel warp.  These towels have a twill weave with a houndstooth pattern.  The towels are great beat practice.


...

On my own project I finished the 2 1/2 yards of stripes and began the check this afternoon!  I am weaving the checks with three shuttles : white, brown, and blue.  As I change colors the threads that are not in use "travel" next to the selvage.


The 16/2 cotton I am using breaks and tangles easily.  Breaking threads is a common and easily fixable mistake while weaving.  First you tie on a new thread and re-trace its threading though the heddles and the reed.  Then you wind the end around a pin in your fabric and weave it in.  When the fabric comes off the loom you can go back and hand weave it back in.  Hopefully it will smooth out with washing.  


Below is what the "traveling" threads look like.  This is also the selvage of the fabric.  The holes in the selvage are a result of the tenner hook which stretches across the fabric and controls the width.  



Time is flying by!  I have a little under 2 weeks left with LOTS to weave and sew now that I have woven fabrics.  




No comments:

Post a Comment