Friday, June 20, 2014

18th Century Stripes & Plaids

My dress fabric is in progress and now it is time to make a warp for a  some historical fabric reproductions ! My goal is to reproduce a histocial fabric from the 1700's that I can then make into period clothing.  I am refferncing swathces from the book Textiles in American 1650-1870.


These swatches are from 1737 but, the stripes and plaids pictured are seen though out the 18th century.  I will weave half of my fabric as stipes and the second half as a plaid so I'll get two txtiles in one warp.     

                         

After carfully inspecting and counting the threads I sketched up a plan for my fabric.  These simplistic looking fabrics have complicated warps.  My first warp had two colors.  This one will have three colored stripes of a different width each.  I am defintely challenging myself on this one !  



1 comment:

  1. Who would have thought that all that work goes into making fabric--it's something we def take for granted when we see a plaid or striped fabric

    ReplyDelete