Monday, June 16, 2014

Warping

Wow, today I set up a warp and began warping a loom.  I have wondered how to do this complicated proecess for a long time.  It has always looked extremely difficult but, with helpful instruction from Justin, one of the weavers, and attention to detail it is actually quite manageable.

Justin and I started the day by planning project # 1.  I will be weaving an 8/2 cotton weight twill striped fabric to make into a tunic dress.  I am basing the pattern for the the dress off of my thrifted red tunic dress some of you have may have seen me wear... a lot.   Justin commented that the dress's basic shape has resemblance to 18th century short gowns.  With this in mind we decided to make the width 24'' wide with an extra 2'' for shrinkage and seem allowance.  The warp we measured to be 5 yards.  There will be 24 threads per inch.

Once the math was done it was time to choose colors !  I am keeping it simple with only 2 colors : rust and dusty purple.  I haven't decided on my weft threads yet..


This is a warping board. It is a mesuirng tool.  Winding the threads in a specifc pattern around the pegs sets the threads up for weaving.  After a bit of winding you get the rhythm...



..and when you're done you crochet chain it off

 

The warp threads going onto the loom...


and through the heddles..

There are lots of tricks and methods to warping.
Once I complete threading the heddles I'll be ready to weave !






4 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! Great pictures! Sounds like you're off to a fabulous beginning! SO proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Jana! Beautiful colors. Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This looks great Jana, what an opportunity!

    ReplyDelete