Wednesday, June 25, 2014

If it feels "off" it probably is...


I have decided that threading heddles is the most difficult step in the weaving process.

Each thread goes though the eye in the center of the heddle. This is tedious and time consuming work. You also must sit at an awkward position which leaves you feeling stiff and need of a good stretch... which I do every couple of inches !

So far, I have worked on threading four separate warps. Two of them for Kate and the other two were my own.

I like doing things right the first time. Backtracking and fixing errors is extremely frustrating for me. Today I stopped myself part of the way though threading a towel warp. The way I was threading didn't feel right. After asking for some guidance I discovered I was continuing out the double threading I was to do on the selvage of the fabric though-out the entire width of the fabric . This would make a thicker ribbed effect on the finished project which was not the goal. So, I had to start from scratch and also dread re-threading what I accomplished last night which I now knew was completely wrong.

The best way to learn is from your mistakes. If it feels "off" it probably is.



My re-threaded heddles. 


I pressed and rolled my first fabric.  It is ready for a pattern and some sewing.   


Now to thread the other half of my heddles so hopefully I can get weaving later tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment